Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ch. 1: God's Presence, God's Power (pt 1)

So as I stated in the last entry I am going to update this thing on more of a regular basis again. This time I will be reading/writing about a book titled "Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God" by Bill Hybels.   I don't even make past the first paragraph before I get slapped in the face:
From birth we have been learning the rules of self-reliance as we strain and struggle to achieve self-suffiency. [...] To people in the fast lane, determined to make it on their own, prayer is an embrassing interruption.
I am this person. I am the one always trying to do it on my own. I live in the fast-lane with no sign of slowing down. Prayer goes so much against my lifestyle and yet I need it so much in my life. Like Bill goes on to say, there are time where i just fall down to my knees and pray. but why, since I am so against prayer and I still so drawn to it? It's because as a result of prayer I can communicate with God and I feel his peace and love when I communicate with him. Constantly I forget this and get wrapped up in myself and not in him until I am broken down so much that I have no choice. There is a verse referenced in this chapter and was also talked about in my small group last week.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by PRAYER and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus - Phillippians 4:6-7
The very fact that I have heard this verse over and over again recently proves to me that it is something that I need in my life and that something I should be meditating on. I think when I get home tonight (still at my lab right now) I am going to write this verse on a sticky note and post it in my bathroom so that I am forced to see it each and every morning.  Hmm...

Well I actually should be leaving now. I will try to continue with Chapter 1 later tonight/tomorrow. Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment