Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chapter 1: What is a Disciple?

Part One: Rooted in Christ
"He who has a why to live for can ber almost any how"-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter One: What is a Disciple?
I wish i could copy the whole book and post it here but that alas is called plagiarism and is frowned upon :( also that would take forever and a day to do. So instead here are some snip-bits

what is faith on the edge you make ask? well according to Paul Tokunaga (one of the 6 authors of the book) Its like a race in which your body is screaming to stop but the crowd is cheering you to continue on. You can see this reference even in the bible (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! (The Message)

The above passage is different then the one in the book i feel like it paints a clearer picture of what what "faith on the edge" is in comparison to a race. Now that that is taken care of, let move on to the name of this chapter...What is a disciple? The book explains that the New Bible Dictionary describes it as the pupil of a teacher and therefore a Christian disciple is a student of Jesus. In addition, the Gospel describes it as "all who responded to his message." this means not only those who hear Jesus's message but that those who hear AND then obey. Both must be done in order to be a pupil. This is hard, especially in the world we live in, but as the writer of Hebrews so lovingly points out, being a Christian is not a easy job!

"...Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned[f]; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated..." (Hebrews 11:35-37 NIV)

But God has a plan for us, ("or I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
) and as long as we trust in him we can do anything ("I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 NIV)

Living your Faith
  1. How did you come into relationship with Jesus? Who and what helped you to come to a living faith? I came to know Jesus, when i was 7. I had started to go to church when a family friend at age 5 and then started to make my mother come with me. Then when i was 7, a speaker came to my church and it was then that my mother and I decided to walk forward and turn our lives over to Christ. Me being 7, i didn't really know what this meant but felt like it was something that i wanted to do. As to a living faith...i am not even sure if my faith could be considered "living". sometimes i feel as if its on life support, i mean i have no doubt that God exist and mentally I know all the stories etc but i dunno sometimes my scientific mind has a hard time believing the facts and connecting it with my heart/emotions. However i believe that the largest contributors to keeping my faith "alive" or at the very least on life support would have to be Intervarsity and all the wonderful friends and mentors i meet through it in addition to the church i am currently attending now. Intervarsity was my lifeline during my freshman year of college in which my life was filled drama beyond belief. If it wasn't for this organization and the amazing people in it i dunno if i would have been able to survive. I have made so many lifelong friends through it and for that i am grateful. Through the attending this new new church, i have finally decided to make more of an effort of to get my faith off of life support and into "perfect" health again (hence this blog).
  2. Are you content with being a "decent little cottage" or would you rather become a "palace" where Jesus intends to come and live in it himself? To be honest, for so long i have been content to be a "decent little cottage" that i am afraid to prepare the way to become a "palace". However this is something that i really want to do now and have to put my faith in God that he will be patient with me as a struggle with the "remodeling".
  3. What stands in the way (relationships, priorities, dreams for your future, sins, for starters) of your becoming that palace? Pride...most definitely my pride stands in the way of me becoming a palace. That and the fear of rejection from others. I take pride in being able to do things myself, in appearing strong and i hate showing weakness (which is why its rare for me to cry and if i do cry it doesn't last for long). and then there is rejection. I know no one likes rejection, and i also know that being a Christian means that the world is going to reject you and you it. but growing up as a kid, i never had that many friends and then when i got to college i suddenly got tons. I dunno what changed to be honest but i do know that sometimes i tend to hide my faith or dilute it a bit so just i don't offend someone or just so they like me better..... These are things that lay down at the cross and pray that God will help to break my heart and change within me


1 comment:

  1. Well Done! I loved reading what you're gleaning from the book. I'm praying for you!
    Blessings - Lisa

    ReplyDelete