Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pressing on...

"I think we're going somewhere.
We're on to something good here.
Out of mind, out of state.
Trying to keep my head on straight."

I think its very fitting that when i opened my bible today to read my passage for today that the title was "pressing toward the goal"....

I think this is fitting for multiple reasons. This morning i was soo tired that i didn't want to get up and read so i convinced myself it was ok to sleep in the extra 30 mins and that i would have time to do it in between my classes (i have a 3hr break). well when i got home for my break i goofed off for a bit, made lunch and then decided to watch a movie...the whole time telling myself that oh i can do it real fast before i go to class...however once the movie ended it was almost time for class so i had to leave convincing myself i would do it when i got home. Well i ended up staying late studying some things and then going out to dinner and when i got back there was this tv show that i really wanted to see and blah blah blah. They whole time there was this little voice yelling at me to go read my bible and that i should update. Finally when i realized that the day was almost over and knew that i would feel guilty if i didn't read and post...i opened my bible and the first thing i saw was the title and busted out laughing. I believe God is def trying to tell me something. for today is not the only day that i have been struggling to read my bible, it was like ever since the weekend i have been able to come up with more and more excuses to put it off and i know thats not what i need to do....so here i am pressing onward towards my goal of being closer to God!

so today i think i am going to do something different...instead of "preaching" about the verses that jumped out to me i am just going to list the verses that mean the most to me in this passage with minimal description. I dunno how this will work but yeah...here goes nothing...

v13 -14".... but i focus on this one thing. Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus is calling us."
-something that would beneficial for all of us to keep in mind, the past is in the past and Jesus is the ultimate goal and should be our only focus.

v17" Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example"
-as i have said before, when we live like Jesus and love like him then the world will truly know God and will be able to learn from us and us from them. Its like the old saying goes...Actions speak louder than words

v 19-21 "They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control."
-i dunno about anyone else but when i read this passage all i can think of is are those old fire and brimstone speeches that you picture old southern baptist pastors giving ( i have nothing against baptist...i am one)...finger pointing an all. but on a more serious note, take that all away i believe it is a very good warning that we should all ponder and keep in mind as well as an encouragement to overcome our struggles and to press on when the world is pulling us down.


No comments:

Post a Comment