Thursday, January 22, 2009

The power of words....

I am struggling right now i will admit. i just can't seem to get myself out of bed in the morning and by the time i am finally able to sit down at the computer with my bible its already 10 or 11 at night. :( Tomorrow prolly won't be able better cause i have class from 8-3pm with the possibility of going to the lab afterwards...blah ( really starting to regret my choice there but thats another story for another blog)

anyways....when i decided to read the book of Philippians,it wasn't for any real purpose. yes one of my favorite verses is in it ( which i will get to tomorrow) and yes i haven't read it all the way through before (but that could be said for almost any book in the bible). While these statements maybe true, that wasn't the reason why i picked it. I picked it kinda randomly when it popped into my head one day. However i don't think it was really by chance, i think God put that thought into my head because he wanted to tell me something. Each day as i read more and more of this book whole sections jump out to me yelling at me to listen and head the advice that is burrowed within their words.

One such sections is as follows:

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus" (v6-7)

this is another thing that i am struggling with. i am constantly struggling with letting go of things in my life and handing it all over to God to do. Even when i pray to him, part of me is holding on to them thinking....oh i got this, i can handle it God, thanks for the offer though. But that is just pride talking. pride is one of my biggest vices i will admit (among others). There are so many things that i am prideful of but really shouldn't be for without the life and the talents etc that God has given me, i wouldn't be able to do or have any of the things that make me so prideful. food for thought i guess....

another thing that i am beginning to like about this book (although it is almost over) is how Paul tends to "plug-in" random people and share bits and pieces of their story, just enough to leave the modern-day reader wonder...who are these people? what are the other details of their story? what happened to them after the letter was sent? etc. and Today's passage is a prime example. In two short verses, Paul presents and ends the story of two women ,Euodia and Syntyche. Upon reading these verses i immediately went to google ( how i <3 href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=hotread17/kurtwarner"> link

"v8. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise"

1 comment:

  1. Philippians 4:8 is a verse I'm memorizing this month. Wrote a blog about it earlier this week. You might enjoy it. http://mypassionatepursuit-lisa.blogspot.com/2009/01/time-for-re-framing.html
    Blessings - Lisa

    ReplyDelete